Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Be diligent, Stay focused...

Today I had the opportunity to work from home. I woke up several times in the middle of the night and I know it was because I was worried my computer wouldn't work correctly or I'd have some problem. I worked steadily for the entire day, breaking for lunch, or briefly to grab lunch. I managed to wash/dry two loads of laundry in between phone calls. It was a good opportunity to get up and stretch my legs.

I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, but what I took away from the day was I diligently worked. Soft music played in the background and the only interruption was a customer calling. For the most part, I concentrated on the task at hand and made the necessary calls out.

I'd love to work from home one day, but specifically, want to be writing full time. Today has proven that I can work from home and stay on task, without getting sidetracked with Internet or blogging. My company computer blocks certain sites, so blogging and general email is not allowed. I honor that because I honor the company I work for.

How does this apply to writing? Well, if I can work for 8 hours during the day, breaking only for eating or menial housekeeping duties, can't I apply this when I write? Why is it so easy to get up an hour before I need to every day, but find myself on email or traveling the Internet. It wouldn't be so bad if I was researching something for my book, but I'm surfing for fun. I'm wasting time. And wasting time doesn't pay off, which is no fun.

Maybe as I continue to have these opportunities to work from home, I can find ways to apply this diligence to my writing. So the lesson for today has been?

...Be diligent and stay focused on the job, on writing, on any project that you want completed, whether it be for payment in salary or in satisfaction.

No comments:

Finalist!

I've always enjoyed reading historical novels. As a child I actually imagined living in the mid 1800s. My grandmother fed my imaginatio...