Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Old Federal Park - Lake Sidney Lanier, Georgia

My interest in Lake Lanier is rooted in the past. My grandparents bought a small lake cabin in the 60's. I was born in the 70's. My earliest memories are on this lake. It's quickly drying up.
A view of Old Federal's beach and all the little islands popping up as the water continues to recede.
A couple of weeks ago, my husband drove me to the other side of the county to my childhood home. From the driveway, I could see these owners have continued to maintain the property. When they first moved in, nearly ten years ago now, they cleared out the thick ivy growing from the front yard to the cove. They also replaced our meager square dock with a double-decker. And a couple of boat slips. The house still looks the same, even with these changes and a large front porch. I was surprised the little cove I always worried was home to a million water moccasins still had water. It didn't have much, but it had water.
But it's a different story here at Old Federal.
The boat ramps have been closed for some time.
Across the water, docks are on dry land.

More red dirt is exposed.



Here, you're looking at the sailing club.

And I give you another view of the beach.

My next trip here, I want to get out and walk the beach. There were four people out here today, with their dog. I guess people are like me: curious. Interested.

Or maybe they were just walking off Christmas Eve lunch.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I can't help my sentimental side. It takes over when I get near the lake.

We've been blessed with rain this week, but we're still in a water crisis. We will be for some time. It'll take a lot of rain to cover all these bare spots you see in the pictures above. Conservation is key.

But our beaches will be full again.

Some day.

No comments:

Finalist!

I've always enjoyed reading historical novels. As a child I actually imagined living in the mid 1800s. My grandmother fed my imaginatio...