Sunday, April 1, 2007

Palm Sunday

This is the beginning of Holy Week. The last week of Lent. The Sunday before Easter.

Jesus entered the city of Jerusalem on a colt, fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah:

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your King is coming to you;
He is just and having salvation,
Lowly and riding on a donkey,
A colt, the foal of a donkey.
(Zechariah 9:9 NKJV)

The people gathered to see him, applauding and praising him. They covered the streets with their cloaks and palm branches, shouting "Hosanna!" in hopes that he would declare his kingship and oust their Roman oppressors.

***********

This is an important week. This year is the first year that I have studied and prayerfully sought the true meaning of this week. What I've written above is my paraphrasing from the book "The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus" by John R. Cross and a new website I've found www.sundayschoollessons.com

Also visit www.intouch.org to read more about this week in the article "Before He Rose: Palm Sunday."

I hope you have a blessed and reflective week.

No comments:

Finalist!

I've always enjoyed reading historical novels. As a child I actually imagined living in the mid 1800s. My grandmother fed my imaginatio...